...I figured I'd post here what I would have posted there. Consider this my NG Alphas submission for TRPG3 until further notice. ;)
1. What is the story behind your latest creation?
Telepath RPG Chapter 3 is the third in the Telepath RPG series, and it follows very closely in Chapter 2's footsteps. The story is going to be different, however...
2. Who or what inspired you to begin your production?
After the amazing success of Telepath RPG Chapter 2, I wanted to continue developing the world of Telepath and refine the gameplay so it was perfect.
3. How long have you been working on it, and when do you expect to finish?
Work started on this chapter less than a month ago, in late December 2007. We've made great progress on it since then.
4. Do you feel that this is better than your previous work? If so, why?
This is absolutely better, yes. The coding is cleaner, the graphics are nicer, the AI is smarter, and I'm just generally able to do code in features that I wouldn't have been able to figure out before.
5. Do you feel that this is something original? What have you done to make your creation different?
This is a lot like Chapter 2, so it's not original in that sense. However, since this will be basically the only tactical RPG available in Flash other than Chapter 2, I'd have to say that this is still pretty ground-breaking stuff.
The coolest thing about Telepath RPG Chapter 3 so far would have to be the map editor. You can slap together your own custom battles in 5 minutes and play them instantly. We're also planning to make user-created battles saveable and loadable, so you can share your battles with your friends!
6. What has given you the most difficulty during the development process of your new creation?
I have two letters for you: AI. Programming the battle AI has always been the trickiest part of the Telepath games, and it continues to be a major pain in the butt even to this day. I'm pretty proud of how it has come along, though.
Taking second place would have to be creating all of the tiles for the battles. In TRPG2, I was able to coast by with incomplete tilesets, only making new tiles when I absolutely needed to. Now that there's a map editor, though, I can't get away with that!
7. Have you learned new techniques from making this, and do you plan to use them in the future?
Absolutely. I've started relying heavily on for loops, and they're saving me literally hours of trouble, to say nothing of hundreds of lines of code.
8. Besides Flash, did you pull any other programs into the mix to deliver your desired effect?
The usual: Paint Shop Pro for graphics, Cool Edit 2 for sound and recording. We haven't produced any new music for it yet, so I can't comment on which program will be used for that.
9. How do you feel this creation will measure up to other submissions on Newgrounds?
Telepath RPG Chapter 2 is already in the Top 120 submissions on Newgrounds. Telepath RPG Chapter 3 is going to be even better than Chapter 2, so maybe it'll make it into the Top 100 and stay there. ;) We'll see!
10. Any final thoughts or anything else you would like to say?
Yeah--there's already a public demo on SinisterDesign.net, so stop by there and check it out! We're updating it regularly, so stop by often and see what's new in the game.